Fair Housing Policy
Ernst & Haas Management Company, Inc. (Ernst & Haas) firmly believes that choosing a home directly impacts the hopes, dreams, aspirations, and economic destiny of those involved. It is for this reason that Ernst & Haas is committed to the letter and spirit of the Federal Fair Housing Act, the California Fair Housing Act, and all other federal and state laws enacted to guarantee a housing market free from discrimination.
Ernst & Haas policies are based on the following:
The Federal Fair Housing Act of 1968, as amended
For questions about Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO), visit http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/.
The Federal Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing because of:
- National Origin
- Familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women and people securing custody of children under 18)
- Mental or Physical Handicap (Disability)
In the Sale and Rental of Housing: Ernst & Haas will not take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Refuse to negotiate for housing
- Make housing unavailable
- Deny a dwelling
- Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
- Provide different housing services or facilities
- Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
- For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting)
- Deny anyone access to a facility or service related to the sale or rental of housing.
- Threaten, coerce, intimidate or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right or assisting others who exercise that right
- Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based applicant being a member of a protected class.
Disabled Persons' Policy:
If a rental applicant:
- Has a physical or mental disability (including hearing, mobility and visual impairments, chronic alcoholism, chronic mental illness, AIDS, AIDS Related Complex and mental retardation) that substantially limits one or more major life activities
- Has a record of such a disability or
- Are regarded as having such a disability
Ernst & Haas will not:
- Refuse to let them make reasonable modifications to their dwelling or common use areas, at their own expense, if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing. However, we may permit changes only if tenant agrees to restore the property to its original condition when they move.
- Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices or services if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing.
Housing will not be made available to a person who is a direct threat to the health or safety of others or to anyone who knowingly uses illegal drugs.
Ernst & Haas follows the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) recommended guidelines of allowing two persons per bedroom, plus one person, to lease a property. However, if there are any city or state occupancy requirements governing the property or if the property is located in a condominium, cooperative or homeowners association with more restrictive guidelines, Ernst & Haas will defer to their policy and comply with their guidelines as long as they are not obviously discriminatory.
The following are also prohibited practices by the Act, and Ernst & Haas will not take any of the following actions:
- Intimidation, coercion, threats or interference with persons in the exercise or enjoyment of any right granted or protected under this Act.
- Intimidation, coercion, threats or interference with persons because they have aided or encouraged any other person in the exercise or enjoyment of any right granted or protected under this Act.
- Discrimination in any real estate related transaction.
- Discrimination in the provision in multiple listing services, real estate brokers' organization or other service or in any organization or facility relating to the business of selling or renting dwellings.
- Discrimination against any person in the terms or conditions or access, membership or participation in any such organization, service or facility because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap or familial status.
- Discrimination due to handicap.
Dwellings with Pools
Ernst & Haas does not exclude or steer away qualified families with children from renting homes with pools. However, Ernst & Haas will:
- Disclose to any potential tenant any known or potential dangers associated with a property, including dangers associated with a pool.
- Seek confirmation from a potential tenant that dangers and potential dangers have been disclosed and that the potential tenants have assumed the risk of such dangers.