Becoming a Tenant
We look forward to serving you. Every property we manage is owned by a separate individual, each with unique set of standards and goals. Please note that the requirements listed below are guidelines which may vary from property to property and owner to owner. Please refer all questions on specific properties to our office at (562) 989-9835 or by e-mail to email@example.com
- Gross income should be at least 2.5 times the monthly rent amount
- All applicants over 18 may combine income
- If you are self-employed, we will need tax returns for the last two years
To determine satisfactory credit worthiness we run a report through a credit reporting agency
Your previous residencies must be free of evictions, judgments, and unpaid rents.
The number of occupants is limited to 2 persons per bedroom plus 1 additional person. All occupants, 18 years of age and over must submit an application. Please Note: A $40 application fee is charged for each adult over 18 years of age.
Policies on pets vary according to the property (call or email). However, none of our properties permit the following breeds of dogs: Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chows, St. Bernards, Great Danes, Huskies, Malamutes, or near relatives. Pet policies are strictly enforced. Resident must provide an additional deposit, pet application, and pictures for all pets.
It is unlawful and a violation of company policy to discriminate against any person based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, or familial status, or to refuse to show, rent, negotiate, or otherwise make unavailable any rental unit. All Ernst & Haas employees are trained to provide fair and equal treatment for all people, whether or not they are included in a protected class. Click here to read our full Fair Housing Policy.
How to Apply for a Property
Viewing a Property+
Viewing a Ernst & Haas property is a simple and easy process. Just follow these steps:
- Review our List of Properties for Rent
- Available properties
- Inspect the outside but do not attempt to enter a vacant property.
- To see inside one of our properties, please call (562) 989-9835 to obtain more information and to schedule an appointment to view the property's interior. We have flexible scheduling and are almost always able to accommodate your desired showing time.
How to Get an Application+
Now that you've found your property, it's time to get an application. There are several options:
Submitting Your Application+
Thank you for your interest in an Ernst & Haas property. The online application process is simple and quick. You have the option to apply online or in our office. The review and approval process usually takes 2-3 business days. You will be notified directly whether or not your application is approved. Please make sure that all information on the application is completed IN FULL. If there is a section or line that does not apply to you, please indicate by printing "N/A".
While the ability to submit your application online will enable you to begin the process of renting a property from Ernst & Haas, please remember that prior to signing a lease you will be required to provide following items for each applicant:
- The application must be completely filled out and signed before it can be processed
- Attach copies of supporting documents including:
- Recent pay stubs
- Photo ID
- Copy of your Social Security Card
- A copy of any military orders
- Documents supporting other sources of income including Social Security, Disability, Child Support, etc.
- Copies of any satisfied court judgments which may still show on your credit
- 2 years tax returns (self-employed only)
- $40 application processing fee (non-refundable) Please Note: A $40 application fee is charged for every adult applicant 18 years & older.
- Forms of acceptable payment are:
- Money Order
- Cashier's Check
- To our office Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Apply Online
Depending on the timely response of employers, landlords, etc., your application will be processed within 2-3 business days.
Once You are Approved+
You will be notified of the total amount required to move-in: 1st month's rent and deposit must be made payable as a money order or cashier's check to Ernst & Haas Management Co. NO CASH OR PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED FOR MOVE-IN OR SECURITY DEPOSIT.
All applications are processed in order of receipt. The applicant who is listed 1st is to pay the application fee, remit all the required documents, qualifies and pays the balance of the required move-in costs after approval will be selected. Credit, employment and previous residency verifications will be made and used to base credit worthiness of applicant. All applicants are treated in a consistent manner. All restrictions, rules and criteria are applied consistently to all residents. Credit score (FICO) should be no less than 620 for standard approval. Applicants with a credit score of 600-619 may be conditionally approved. If the credit score is less than 600, the application will not be approved.
Remember, you must first choose a property in order to submit an application online.
You must also pay for the application at the end of the application process. If not, the application will NOT be submitted.
Once your application has been approved, the following steps need to be completed:
- Pay the full security deposit to Ernst & Haas. This allows us to take the property off the market and gives you a move-in guarantee
- Secure and maintain personal liability insurance (renter’s insurance) at all times during tenancy
- Schedule a move-in appointment with Ernst & Haas, where the lease is signed and you are presented with keys. All parties on the lease must be present to sign.
- Pay balance of move-in costs, which include:
- First full month's rent is always paid at beginning of lease, even if the move-in date is not on the 1st.
- Any remaining deposits (i.e. pet deposit)
- Register for our Tenant Portal, where you can pay rent, submit maintenance requests, and access account information.
Enjoy your New Home!
A full refund may be obtained at any time prior to processing your rental application. Once the processing begins, no refunds will be issued.